2. Identify Coverage Needs
When helping someone else enroll in a Medicare plan, it is helpful to first understand what their current medical needs are and and whether they will need additional health coverage that Original Medicare does not cover. This additional coverage can be added through a Medicare Advantage plan and can include benefits like prescription drug coverage, vision and hearing benefits.
Choosing a Medicare Advantage plan can also in some cases, make it more affordable depending on the health plan and coverage needs.
Common questions to discuss about health needs include:
- What health needs do they have?
- Will they require frequent medical attention?
- Will there be frequent hospital or outpatient care visits?
- Will they need nursing home care?
- Will they need prescription drug coverage?
- Do they need vision or dental benefits?
Common questions to discuss about financial needs include:
- How much are they willing to spend each month?
- How much can they afford to spend?
- Do they want to pay a higher deductible or lower copay?
- Do they want to pay a monthly premium?
View answers to frequently asked questions when enrolling in Medicare and shopping for Medicare Advantage plans.
^Back to top